To qualify for school group rates, you must:
- Be any accredited public or private school, preschool through 12th grade, state-registered daycare or homeschool group from Oregon or Washington.
- Purchase tickets at least two weeks in advance of your chosen date.
- Have a minimum of five students.
- Maintain a minimum ratio of 1 adult chaperone for every five students.
- Commit to chaperoning students at all times while on the zoo grounds.
School group rates
- Ticket prices are $3/student.
- Free admission for 1 chaperone per 5 paying students.
- Students who are Oregon Zoo members do not count in the free chaperone tally.
- Special needs classes are allowed additional free chaperones up to a 1:1 ratio.
- $8.40 per each additional adult or chaperone (unless a zoo member).
- While tickets must be prepurchased, if the group size changes, surplus tickets are returnable for a refund on the day of your visit. For every five student tickets returned you must return one free chaperone ticket.
- Additional tickets can also be purchased at the zoo on the day of the visit.
- Beginning in Spring of 2013, anyone parking their personal cars at the zoo will need to pay for parking. Make sure your chaperones who are driving themselves know about this additional cost.
What will it cost...?
What will it cost to bring my class of 30 students and 10 chaperones (including me) to the zoo if 5 of my students and 2 of the chaperones are zoo members?
Remember that zoo members are not included in your group count. If 5 of your students and 2 of your chaperones are members, then your group count is 25 students and 8 chaperones. You will need 5 chaperones to meet the 1:5 chaperone to student ratio. These five chaperones are admitted for free with your school group. The other three chaperones will need to pay zoo admission.
25 students x $3/each = $75
3 chaperones x $8.40/each = $25.20
Your total cost = $75 + $25.20 = $100.20
Are there other discounted rates available to school groups?
On the second Tuesday of each month zoo admission is only $4. These tickets are available only at the Zoo on second Tuesdays; they are not available for prepurchase. Classes coming to the zoo on second Tuesdays must still maintain a 1:5 chaperone/student ratio. However, no chaperones are admitted for free.
What will it cost to bring the same class of 30 students and 10 chaperones (including me) to the zoo on second Tuesdays? (Remember that 5 students and 2 chaperones are members)
In this scenario, there are 33 paying people (40 students/chaperones – 7 members)
Your total cost: 33 people x $4/person = $132.00