Sunset at the Zoo, presented by Banfield Pet Hospital, is a series of evening "late hours" in the park.
Each Sunset event features animals that are active at dusk, fun activities for families, pettable animals, Wildlife Live talks, and live entertainment in small vignettes around the zoo grounds.
Enhanced food offerings, as well as local beer and wine service, make this the perfect place for dinner al fresco while enjoying the best of Portland on a summer evening.
Come have a howlin’ good time with Banfield Pet Hospital on the zoo lawn, beginning at 6:15 p.m. Kids 12 years old and younger are invited to give their best impression of a dog or a cat in the Banfield “Howl and Meow” contest. There will be a prize for all who participate and a celebrity judge will select the best howler and the best meower to win an adorable stuffed animal. So, warm up those vocal chords and get ready to talk like the animals!
July 23 schedule of events
Trillium Creek Farm
- 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. - pettable animals; construction photo opp
Pacific Shores Plaza
- 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. – Oregon College Savings Plan prize & activity booth
Bear Walk Plaza
- 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. - live music: Mo Phillips Trio
- 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. - Game: How far can you jump?
- 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. - Wildlife Live animal talks
- 6:15 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. - Banfield's Howl & Meow Contest at the stage
- 6:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. - Wildlife Live animal talks
Sankuru Trader (Africa, near flamingos)
- 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. - live music: Hanz Araki Trio
- 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. - Craft activity, floor puzzles, and Green Mountain Energy
- Glow-in-the-dark tattoos (fundraiser for ZooKeeper Association)
- 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. - live music: The Pete Schwimmer Trio: "Harmonious bluegrass and old-time music"
Sunset at the Zoo takes place every other Wednesday during July and August. Dates:
Banfield Pet Hospital® is proud to partner with the Oregon Zoo and continually donates their professional time, equipment and resources to support the Zoo.