Groups just like yours volunteer at the zoo on landscaping projects throughout the year. Camaraderie, service, a day at the zoo: what's not to love?
Groups that volunteer
Youth organizations, businesses and local service groups are just some of the groups who've gotten their hands dirty helping at the zoo.
- Youth Groups: minimum of 5 students and 1 chaperone and maximum of 10 students and 2/3 chaperones
- Adult Groups: minimum of 5 individuals and maximum of 20 individuals
Your group can volunteer if:
- all members are at least 12 years old
- everyone's willing to work outside, no matter the weather
- you can provide a 1:5 adult-to-youth ratio for volunteers ages 12 to 18
- you have a group coordinator responsible for supervising the group, ensuring all group members adhere to zoo rules and procedures and have signed parental consent forms for group members ages 12 to 18 with you during the project
In addition, many groups who are compensated to volunteer as part of an organization can make their effort twice as nice, thanks to volunteer matching gifts offered by their employer. If you are volunteering at the zoo – be sure to ask about matching opportunities through work!
What you do
Projects take place Tuesdays through Thursdays. The zoo provides gloves and tools. Work a one-time, approximate 4-hour shift with horticulture staff on:
- invasive plant removal
- planting beds
- weed control by pulling or application of rock (no herbicides)
- mulching planting beds with ZooDoo
How to volunteer
Our Group Volunteer Opportunities are filled for 2019. We will reopen applications in January 2020.
Note: The zoo reserves the right to reject a volunteer for any reason which the zoo, in its sole judgment, determines will or may affect the best interests of the zoo. Furthermore, the zoo reserves the right to withhold the reason(s) for such refusal. The zoo cannot guarantee volunteer placement. The zoo will, however, make every effort to match volunteer applicants to volunteer opportunities based on the needs of the zoo and the interests and abilities of the volunteer.