Animal Encounter Tours
What color is a giraffe tongue? What do penguin feathers feel like? Get the inside scoop from a veteran keeper and a hands-on animal experience in our new behind-the-scenes Animal Encounter tours.
Available Fridays and Saturdays from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., November through May
See, hear and smell the penguin exhibit with one of the zoo's dedicated bird keepers while you learn what it takes to care for and successfully breed these unique birds. Get up close and personal with a penguin while you feed them their favorite fishy snacks-- all documented by a photographer! End your tour in the Marine Life exhibit and discover what it takes to create an ocean for our other water-dwelling animals-- sea lions and sea otters.
Available Fridays and Saturdays from 12:00 p.m.-1:30 p.m., November through May
Start your tour in the animal commissary to see all the different types of animal food and discover the importance of zoo nutrition and diet. Go behind the scenes in the giraffe barn and see how the zoo cares for these long-legged beauties. See and feel how unique a giraffe tongue is when you feed them a healthy treat-- all documented by a photographer!
$120 per person, including zoo admission and photographs
- Children ages 13 and up are welcome.
- Encounter tours are intimate experiences for groups or five or fewer.
- Advance registration is required. Find available dates or make a reservation by calling the Education Office at 503-220-2781, or email email@example.com.
- Programs involving zoo animals are subject to change or cancellation based on animal needs. However, every effort will be made to offer alternate areas or reschedule tours.
- All Animal Encounter tours require walking in working areas that include stairs and are not wheelchair-accessible.
What's the best way to give a rhino a checkup? How much seafood does it take to feed a pair of sea otters? Follow a veteran keeper through the staff-only doors to see what it takes to run a zoo - from providing an enriching environment to recreating an ocean - on our behind-the-scenes discovery tours.
Discover the Great Northwest!
Available Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. from April through October
The Oregon Zoo has recreated the entire Pacific Northwest – from mountains to coast - in the space of ten acres. Go behind the scenes of the black bear, sea otter and sea lion exhibits to discover the many moving parts of this complex operation and learn about how keepers care for these native Northwest animals.
Available Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 12 p.m.-1:30 p.m. from April through October
Go behind the scenes in the African Savanna to see where the giraffes, hippos, rhinos and lions call home. Learn about the care these animals receive and the vital role training plays in their welfare.
UPDATE: Until further notice lions will not be included in the Africa tour and will be replaced by an animal area to be determined.
Zoo members: $35 per person
Non members: $45 per person
Fee includes zoo admission.
- Children ages 10 and up are welcome.
- Space is limited and advance registration is required. Find available dates or make a reservation by calling the Education Office at 503-220-2781, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Programs involving zoo animals are subject to change or cancellation based on animal needs. However, every effort will be made to offer alternate areas or reschedule tours. Please note that Discovery tours do not include animal contact. In addition, because these tours take place during zoo hours, animals will generally be on exhibit and not in the behind the scenes areas.
- All discovery tours require walking in working areas that include stairs and not wheelchair-accessible.