A new home for chimpanzees, Primate Forest will provide an environment that supports natural chimp behaviors and gives visitors insight into their lives.
Apes in natural landscapes
Design began in 2016 and construction started in 2018. Opening in 2020, the habitat will feature:
- Larger, more complex spaces for extended families with opportunities for chimps to form single or multiple groups as they do in the wild
- Climbing structures and features that encourage foraging, hiding and scavenging
- Enhanced opportunities to see chimps in action
- A cut away termite mound and demonstration area, where visitors can observe natural chimp behaviors
- Information on how to prevent deforestation—a threat to both chimps and orangutans