Make a splash at the zoo! Certified SCUBA divers are invited to support marine life keepers with diving tasks in the marine area.
Are you a certified SCUBA diver with at least three hours a week to devote to the zoo? Dive right into a supportive, stimulating and fun workplace. Work closely with zoo keepers in the care of habitats. Among the many zoo animals that benefit from zoo diver participation are harbor seals, sea otters and a variety of Northwest fish and invertebrates.
Divers should provide their own equipment; the zoo provides cylinders and weights.
Divers must be at least 18 years old and:
- provide proof of certification and a log of a minimum of 40 dives
- proof of current First Aid/CPR/AED certification
- complete the volunteer dive packet, which includes a criminal background check
- attend an orientation session
- demonstrate proficiency listed in the Oregon Zoo checkout and training evaluation.
Volunteers are expected to commit three hours per week to the program with notification of absence provided at least 24 hours in advance. All volunteer divers will receive tender training and a dive assessment at the start of their commitment. Roles will vary between tending and diving.
How to apply
1. Apply online. You will sign up for an information orientation session in the application.
2. Sign up for and attend one of the informational orientation sessions:
Tuesday, Sept. 26 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
Thursday, Sept. 28 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
3. Successfully complete a background check.